I just looked at my calendar and realized that it is August 3rd. Yikes! Where has the year gone? Yikes.
Then I realized that I have been a BAD blogger as I have not posted anything since July 28th. Bad Jen. Bad Jen. Here are my excuses (I swear they are legitimate):
1) I couldn’t focus, as this week I had my first really good heartrending, heartbeating, heartbreaking crush on a good looking, compelling, intelligent man since 1999. Unfortunately, as with my last crush, this was missplaced. Damn. I need your help! People, set me up! I am good at a good number of things, but I am a boo-boo-brained when it comes to men…. I need help!
2) Friendster. It sucked me in, it sucked me down, and I lost hours. Here is the big bitch of Friendster, as first noted by Lucky, lots of hot chicks, lots of hot gay men, but where are the straight single men? Where? Where? Where? …..
Lucky wants to see nude, single, straight men, even if she is off the market. I am on the market and need to know where to find the single, straight men.
3) Working. Had to pay rent. Blah.
As Lucky, her boyfriend Greg, and I departed out of Alex’s Bar on Saturday night, we walked down the back alley to our cars on Orizaba St. The bright light shining at an angle along the alley, catching shadows on Greg, was a thing of beauty.
Ok, maybe it really isn’t the world’s tallest basil, but the tallest one in my kitchen herb garden is at 29 inches tall. Just over two feet, dwarfing the usually out of control sorrel, thyme and lavender.
Time to have a pesto party.
For the laughing sandy haired, freckled faced kid brother of my just-after-college roommate….
Many condolences to Johnny’s (now John) wife Jill, to all of the Berger family, to John’s flight squad, and to the Berger-Hocking family of the LBC. I am very sorry to hear of John’s crash.
The family has set up a MSN group for info.
San Diego Tribune article: Miramar pilot dies in crash of Hornet
San Bernardino Co. Press Release:
On 7-22-03 at about 10:00 PM, USMC Captain John Timothy Berger, age:27, a resident of Santee and stationed at Miramar was flying an F-18 Military jet over the training area located at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center (MCAGCC) in Twentynine Palms. For an unknown reason his jet crashed in the open desert area of the base and when emergency personnel arrived, he was pronounced dead at the scene. U.S. military officials are conducting the crash investigation. Please refer all inquiries to the the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center (MCAGCC) in Twentynine Palms.
Tim Bray makes an excellent case for Mozilla, Safari, Opera or just about any other new browser kicking Microsoft’s booty in the next few years in his July 17th article – The Door is Ajar.
Today, the human experience of the Net stands at a crossroads, paths diverging into the future, and nobody knows which one well be on in a year. A lot of people who will read this have the chance to make a difference in the decision. Lets look at the options.
This week has been crazy and I apologize for not posting this week, I suck. It is now 1:05 am on late Wed/early Thurs. and my brain is fried.
But here are a few fun things:
1) Friendster.com – This is Six Degrees of Seperation meets Peer 2 Peer Friend Trading…. I have been on for a week or two due to Yvonne Garrett in NYC inviting me, then LuLu reminded me of the site on Monday, and ever since I have been addicted. All kinds of people are on Friendster, and the best part is that my favorite cute punk boys are on it! Yeah! Drool…
2) I just spent the last two days writing a story for my Fiction class at UCLA, and I turned it in tonight. I feel like my baby just left the nest. It is 15 pages long and is about a night at Alex’s Bar in Long Beach. I think it is too long to post here. I started my fiction series with Paul’s in Orange, then Alex’s in Long Beach, maybe I need to set my next story in a church on a Sunday morning after the Saturday night…
3) I have nothing more to report other than I need to go to bed… bye.
As most of you know, my mom recently quit her job teaching junior high so she could have more time to surf. My mom, Surfer Sue, has been surfing since the mid-1950s.
On thursday, she went surfing down at Bolsa Chica and was lightly stung by a baby sting ray on her baby toe. This caused stress and anxiety but the nice young lifeguards recommended soaking the offended body part in the hottest water one can stand. The LA Times on Friday reported a rash of sting ray attacks in Seal Beach and Bolsa Chica recently due to increased ocean temps. Mom says the water feels like Hawaii.
But the real highlight of her day was while paddling out to the break a big set came in, she was on the right shoulder of wave when 3 dolphins were surfing towards her on the shoulder of the wave. To avoid a direct hit by large marine mammals, mom turned parallel to the wavew hich is not a good idea for the human who ought to be perpendicular to the wave. By being parallel to the wave mom barely avoided being sucked into the wave as it broke but she did avoid hurting the dolphins with her board or being hit by 800 lbs of Flipper.
Mom says that it was very amazing to see them so close. She said that in the last two years there has been a definite increase in dolphin sightings, as she now sees them at least every weekend.
On Sat., Erika sent me the following “amusing” dolphin stess test.
The Vice President of our nation seems to be a man of many talents and interests, talents that are well hidden and interests that are not necessarily in the best interests of the people but of his corporate friends. At what point do we the people demand accountability from our elected officials? Are we a nation of which sex and scandal much more interesting and impeachable than shady business deals from elected office and bad ethics are?
From the news column at Salon.com and the AP news wire:
Vice President Dick Cheney’s energy task force appeared to have some interest in early 2001 in Iraq’s oil industry, including which foreign companies were pursuing business there, according to documents released Friday by a private watchdog group.
Judicial Watch, a conservative legal group, obtained a batch of task force-related Commerce Department papers that included a detailed map of Iraq’s oil fields, terminals and pipelines as well as a list entitled “Foreign Suitors of Iraqi Oilfield Contracts.”
The current administration has shown itself to be much more interested in helping their friends and former business colleagues in business than in democracy. Are we now a nation run by an oligarchy of businessocrats?
God forbid that the French and Russians could have gotten the Iraqi oil contracts and not US oil companies! Mr. Cheney is not only a shadowy figure, but one with very bloody hands. Blood for oil anyone?