In a blog post today, a one Mr. John Scalzi ranked the months of the year and why. He then asked commenters to do the same.
Here is my comment:
Ms. Jen says:
October 1, 2015 at 9:56 pm
I live in SoCal and I don’t suffer from SADs but some opposite disorder where I get happier the darker it gets, so:
1) November : Thank all the possible deities that humanity has ever thought up, it is getting darker and the temps have dropped into the 70s.
2) December: OMG, best month of the year, we may have one actual day were a sweater is possibly needed. The horror is when all the young humans break out their UGG boots to wear with their sweater vests and short shorts.
3) February and March: The only real reason to live in SoCal/LA – Snow on Mt. Baldly with cool-ish, crisp-ish days makes the traffic somewhat bearable. Don’t get in a fender bender as you stare at the snow covered mountains while stuck on the freeway.
4) April: The return of the Santa Ana winds to bake all the lovely new spring green hills to a golden brown and the birthday type object.
5) October: On a good year this means slightly cooler temps and possible rain, on a bad year it means Fire Season.
6) January: As the trees finally lose the last of their old leaves, the new leaves are coming in along with pretty tree flowers, esp the Mume apricot/plums and the ornamental pear trees. The bad is the spate of 85-90F days that remind you that hell is coming down the road.
7) May and June: May Gray and June Gloom, if you have SADs this is when SoCal makes you want to slit your wrists, for others it just gets monotonous.
8) July: The marine layer retreats to San Francisco to join Karl the Fog and the hot, too bright days begin. Plus idiot neighbors blow things up all month long, too bad that they don’t synchronize with the 9:30pm Disneyland fireworks.
9) August: July plus 10F more heat. Blazing sun, no relief.
10) September: The most evil month of the year. The fish hurricanes off of Mexico contribute to 100+ temps and humidity, plus a good old fashion haze/smog layer. Poke eye balls out with toothpick while sitting in the A/C.
This year, September started at the end of June compliments of Super Duper El Nino.