I have posted my restaurant review of India Sweet & Spices over at The Happy Tastebud:
India Sweets and Spices is the main place for my Pea-a-Palooza festivals as they regularly serve peas & cheese (Mattar Paneer), as well as Potatoes and Peas. Most of all I like the surprise of showing up and looking at the six lunch hot choices, choosing two for my $4.99 plate which will also include rice, raita, fresh crunchy veg plus a lime pickle or two.
Due to my gluten-free life, I usually get a rice/lentil papad or two instead of the wheat-ful chapati or poori. The nice folks who run the lunch counter at India Sweets and Spices in Tustin are very accommodating about substitutions.
If you are not up for a great veggie lunch, then there is always the Beef Palace in Huntington Beach..
Due to being deep in my second “Blackout” period of the year whilst working away on a web app, I have no interesting thoughts or photos for you all today. But I do have a few tidbits:
1) Magnus the Pom-huahua (or Chi-meranian) came over to visit and have a play date with Scruffy today. A few notes on Magnus:
a) Magnus dropped off a few fleas and shared them with Scruffy. The fleas bit and then jumped off Scruffy due to his Frontline protection, but now Scruff has a bunch of inflamed flea bites on his tummy. I need to call the vet to ask what to do about this when we are only two weeks since his last Frontline application (minimum time between Frontline applications = one month, maximum = 2 months).
b) Magnus is as bad as Belle about letting me work. He repeatedly climbed on me and my computer trying to get attention.
2) I have made a To Do List breakthrough… The highly detailed list with over 32 points on it that I made a few weeks ago… Well, I checked off the final undone activity today when I washed my apartment’s curtains. They are now very clean and slightly wrinkled.
Do I seem like the sort of human to own an iron? No, the iron is loaned out right now. Do I seem like the sort of human to iron my curtains when they come out of the dryer?
((She runs for the hills, screaming…))
3) I have entered, as mentioned above, my 2nd “Blackout” period of the year. This is where I sweep out all distractions and work on an a web application for two weeks. Day one is going very well so far. Am excited. Since my last Blackout in late March, I have been able to piece together a lot of code bits, IA and UI bits, as well as the large picture structure, and am as a result, I am prepped, ready and very excited.
My goal is to have the app to Alpha Testing phase by Saturday. I think I can do it. Why Saturday? Well, I am speaking Saturday night at an Art / Music / Writing / Web Salon and it will be the perfect time to recruit testers. An Art Web App needs Artists to test it, right? Right.
Impetus. Determination. I promise I will not try to procrastinate with housework, as I have got 95% of it done*, well, except bleaching the bathroom ceiling**.
4) After struggling most of last year with trying to realize my application ideas in Ruby on Rails or PHP, I have tossed both to the winds and am now developing in Django and am MUCH happier. PHP is too messy for my minimalist streak. Ruby on Rails really is oriented for the programmer to do web developement, but Django is a lovely framework for web designers to get into development with. With no apologies, I will say that I am having a lot of fun with Django only a few struggles. Yeah.
* This past weekend, Erika very kindly helped me completely rearrange all the furniture in my living room & bedroom, except my corner cabinet, bed and 3 bookcases. We did all of this so I wouldn’t be distracted this week.
** This is my favorite inside joke, as when I was writing my Master’s thesis, I got so stressed out that I stood on the toilet to bleach my bathroom ceiling and thus broke the toilet and dripped bleach on to me. When the repair guy came, he did not believe the truth whatsoever , but thought I was up to some sort of naughty on the toilet. No naughty, just serious out of control procrastination – totally different.
IHT on “We Should Still Like Ike” – ‘The supreme commander of Allied forces during World War II, Eisenhower
believed the United States should not go to war unless the nation’s
survival was at stake. “There is no alternative to peace,” he said.”
Reason Magazine on “Baby Bust” – ‘At the heart of any fertility incentive lies an attempt to encourage a
particular group of women to orient their bodies in a traditional way.
Every pro-fertility policy is an effort to slow cultural
transformation, to stabilize a society’s ethnic composition, to ossify
a current conception of a national culture by freezing the genetic
makeup of a nation. From Poland to Singapore, swollen wombs are a
bulwark against change.’
The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating
Sun 07.06.08 – All Photos taken by Ms. Jen whilst on a bike ride from Seal Beach to Dog Beach in Huntington and back again with a Nokia N95.
Sat. 07.05.08 – While walking Scruffy this afternoon, I ran into Paul and Tanya Bonaventura at the Seal Beach Pier. As we were chatting, Paul asked if I was ditching the Hootenanny, too. Yes, I was. So were they.
I seriously thought the past month about going to the Hoot today. Wanda did. Sandra did. And so did Tink. But I just couldn’t justify paying $40 plus TicketMaster Rape Charges of at least $15-20 to see the 2 bands I wanted to see on top of the bad parking, gang fights, hot weather, overflowing porta-potties, huge lines for an overprice beverage. I am sorry, I love my friends and want to support the bands, but…
I decided it would be much more fun to sleep in today, hang out with Erika, walk Scruffy, and make dinner rather than get my annual case of heat stroke at the Hoot. Looks like Tanya and Paul were in the same boat.
On an additional note, HAPPY Wedding & Marriage to Tanya and Paul. They got married in early May and I am pleased as punch to see them happy together.
On an extra additional note, on the same walk today, I saw the pink food domes that became today’s Happy Tastebud post.
Fri 07.04.08 – As seen on my Fourth of July bike ride to the Huntington Beach parade. This photo was taken riding south along Bolsa Chica State Beach. Oriole the dog and his human, the 9-11 year old shaggy haired surf kid, were running / riding down the bike path.
Why all whited out? Sometimes with the Nokia N95, if you try to push the camera button too fast, repeatedly, while it is trying to test the light and focus, it will take a whited out photo. In this case it worked, as all the best parts were saturated with color enough to define the images.
Impatience can work.